Monday, May 4, 2015

Pamplona for the day


I will spend an extra day in Pamplona so that I can get more of a feel for the place and to let my muscles relax after several days of exertion. I had arrived on the May-Day holiday and there is an exciting vibrancy to the town. The restaurants are full and the streets seem to be overflowing to capacity. I also want to catch up on this blog. I can walk around and visit the cathedral, which is but 400 yards from my Refugio accommodation. It´s a seminary now turned into accommodation for people on this Camino. The following day the streets seem no less overflowing. I sense that it does not take any specific holiday to be cause for celebrating life. That´s the way it should be. Europeans, in general, seem better at celebrating on a daily basis. This is a lesson to take this back into our own lives. Celebrate as if this is our last day.




Streets of Pamplona




Practicing self-restraint - posing outside a pastry shop but not sampling



Late afternoon, I decide to walk on and in three hours manage the steep ascent to the small community of Zariquiegui. I had been asked several days before by a 24-year old Irish woman whether I felt lonely walking on my own. This may be difficult for some young people to understand: I love both being on my own and also love walking with others. Walking alone provides an opportunity to look inwards and walking with others provides an  opportunity to share experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment