Thursday, April 29, 2010

Arrival in France



Have started the beginning of my 800 kilometre walk and have completed the first day - perhaps the hardest day - crossing the Pyrenees from St Jean Pied de Port in France to Roncesvalle in Spain - a distance of 27 kilometres.

It is not so much that the journey seems to be predominantly up hill. It is the final 4 kilometres descent that is the killer. With my probem knee, I think I have set a record for slowness, taking more than four hours for this part of the journey. Despite fabulous weather for most of the day, the final couple of hours is in driving rain. I arrive after dark and find that dinner is over. Still, I have sampled some fabulous cheeses from the Basque region of France.

So for now, I can still claim to be the seventeen year old. Let us see how the coming weeks change that perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment