Tuesday, April 13, 2010

One week to departure date

A constant question asked of me is "am I training for El Camino?" Well, if that means loading up my back pack and doing a daily ten mile walk, then the answer is "no." My first reaction is "why do I need to train for this?" My mind tells me that I am only 17 years old. It is just that the body seems intent on adding another 43 years to the total.

I am going to the gym on a regular basis. This is maybe not the same as doing a regular long walk and I may be in for a rude awakening. At the moment my problem left knee does not permit taking extended walks. Therefore, I am focusing on building strength in the quads and lengthening the iliotibial band.

I reckon that I can start the walking component of training once I arrive in London. That will give me six days of daily walks on Hampstead Heath before leaving for St Jean Pied de Port. Will this be enough?

My camino is about a journey of self exploration. I am trying not to have expectations. It is possible to plan to some extent. However, my excitement lies in experiencing the unexpected. Perhaps it is an understanding that I can influence my path but, when all is said and done, I am not in control.

Rather than say that I will be walking 'el camino', it is more accurate to say that 'el camino' is walking me.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you had started your blog already nice to read, I pray for your knee to heal.
    Love B

    ReplyDelete